Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Why are Dogs generally called Rover and Fido?

Where do these names come from?


Do you have a dog called either Rover or Fido?|||Fido was the name of Abraham Lincoln's dog.





Also Fido is Latin for I'm faithful.





Makes sense to be popular then right?





I'm not sure about Rover. Never heard anything about it, hopefully someone will explain.|||Rover, because dogs tend to roam, and Fido, which means I am faithful in Latin, were pupular once but now human names are the trend, with Max the top name for boy dogs and Maggie tops for girls.


The only names on the Top 40 that don't sound like human names are Buddy, Buster, Sparky and Princess.


Maybe the change is because we tend to humanize dogs more than our parents and grandparents did.


I've never had a dog named Rover or Fido but in a few years, these names will probably seem campy and cute|||Fido from the Latin 'fides'; faithful.





Rover I haven't heard, I assume it relates to the amount of ground a dog can cover. Dalmatians used to be called 'carriage dogs' because they could (and did) run alongside carriages for miles.





And I never met a dog called Rover, but my granddad (a Latin scholar) had a dog called Fido.|||Never met a dog called Fido.





Do no someone who has a Rover. (He started off as Max), But as soon as he knew the difference between boys and girls, he was off "roving" around anytime a ****** in their area came in season. They have now had him neutered but he is used to the name now.





I wonder though why so many people have GSDs called Shane.|||~ Fido was the name of Abraham Lincoln's dog.





Also Fido is Latin for I'm faithful.





Makes sense to be popular then right?





I'm not sure about Rover. Never heard anything about it, hopefully someone will explain.|||I have never met any dog called Rover or Fido.


A few Bens, Rexes and Jakes %26amp; Blues. Several Sashas, Trixies and Sukis.


I am the only person I know with a dog called Stan, Laska, Shanook %26amp; Reznor|||rover means a wanderer in english, so i suppose the name Rover came from stray dogs wandering the streets, maybe?





fido means "faithful" in latin. it's a name very fit for man's best friend, right?|||do you remember that song, 'oh where , oh where has my litttle dog gone.....' in the end of it, the singer calls 'oh rover! rover, where are you?|||I have been a groomer, breeder, trainer, and been showing dogs for nearly 30 years.





I have never met a dog named either Fido or Rover.|||in english maybe, or even just US, it differes, in northern europe norse mythology names are quite popular (understandable enough), and rex/king of course (cant forget that one, i think its universal)|||I've never met a dog called Rover or Fido, i once knew of a black dog, and its name.... well, i suprised the guy hasnt been jailed.|||I have met one Fido and no Rovers in all my years of dog knowing.|||obviously they dont have any imagination i have three dogs khan, moochie, and bear|||Nope, Alfie :)


Some names are just more common than others.|||I don't know one dog called those names or ever have.|||guess those folks don't know about googling dog names.%26lt;g%26gt;|||These are just some old, common names for dogs. I also believe they might be cartoon names. None come to mind, but I'm sure there are a few. I do not have a dog named Rover or Fido. Nor do I ever see naming a dog one of these names. I've never met a dog named this either. Head to a park, and call out "Rover!" or "Fido!", and you're not likely to see any dogs come running. But call out "Max!" or "Jessie!" and get ready for a stampede. Yes, Rover, Fido, Spot and Patch are well and truly out of fashion as dogs' names. Their place has been taken by names that sound very similar to the ones we're giving our children. Max, Sam, Jack, Jake, Jessie, Molly, Chloe and Lucy: these could be toddlers in a playgroup or dogs in a kennel. Is this yet another sign that we're seeing dogs as members of the family rather than just animals?





Amy Lyden from the national pet tag company Bow Wow Meow certainly thinks so.


"The significance of pets in people's lives is reflected in the way they name them," she says.

No comments:

Post a Comment