Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I just bought a used Land Rover Freelander. I need an extra key made cheaper than the dealer's price?

I have checked all of the "key makers" in my area and they all say the same...I have to go to the dealer. The dealer charges $100 to make a key (because of the transponder chip.) YIKES! Is there anywhere in the country I can get a cheaper Land Rover key made?|||Nope, has to be done at the dealer, they use a special unit to program the key and only dealers have it. I never understand why people buy expensive cars and expect the maintenance and parts on them to be cheap|||I found some on ebay, then take it to a local ACE hardware|||It may cost less at the dealer, programmers are obtainable, but i would take my chances at the dealer|||Sometimes there are dealers that sell parts online. I know there is www.gmpartsdirect.com and another place for a Hyundai. You'll have to do some searches on it. But most likely you are stuck paying $100...when you get into the upscale vehicles you usually get screwed on stuff like that. Almost all parts will cost more.|||call a locksmith that deals with automotive. I had this same issue with a ford and they came out to my house and made e three keys for 75 bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment